Monday, October 22, 2007

Stock Market: Adding New Dimensions To Life

Sitting in the bus waiting for Powai to come where my company is located. Again the same thoughts mingling in the mind, what to carry out today? Is there something on the net, which can make me engrossed for a few hours? What to converse with friends, the same old addiction of criticizing things around, or boast myself in the crowd, or some other obsession? But these thoughts are not unwarranted; they are occurring since my project has reached to the culmination, where very few things are left to be done. So, not much work, but the thing, which is common everyday, is 8 hours in office that has to be sent off. As my daily routine I take my seat, sit down, start PC, and then marvel what next? Means, what was next in the line up for today’s activities, before this thought takes the pinnacle position in my mind there is call from somewhere, “cafeteria”. On hearing this, feels like someone has quietly heard my inner call and came for rescue. So, the day goes like this from cafeteria to my seat and vice versa, sometimes via giving my time to the neighboring cubicles. But this daily routine irks me.
Along with the above-mentioned things, one more thing is common, that are the activities going on my friend’s PC, who sits next to me. On his PC mostly two things takes center stage, one is Siebel’s Tool and Client Application, and the other untried thing for me was Moneycontrol.com.
I used to wonder how he gets glued to the mentioned site whenever time permitted him. I thought that till now I haven’t encountered a site that fascinates me this much. I wanted to know the actual thrust that he experiences for this phenomenon. I thought to find out the reason behind the so-called phenomenon, and the most excellent way to find this was to experience this myself. So I along with my other friend, who sits in the cubicle behind mine, decided to open the DMat Account. Fortunately for him his account opened within 25 days. He also started behaving relatively as the same way as the earlier one. But ICICI bank wanted to test my endurance, so it took almost 40 days for my account to open.
Finally after long wait the day had come for me to experience the actual basis for the so-called phenomenon. But like earlier scenario except the culprit wasn’t ICICI, it was the sensex that hindered me from buying shares. Each day I would come thinking sensex will drop and I would get the opportunity to buy shares. But sensex was trying to show me how to motivate one to touch unimaginable altitudes in life by its display of achieving innovative heights. Sensex surged to 16000, 17000, 18000, and finally 19000 within a span of few weeks. I came to office with optimism and went back restlessly. Finally I thought enough is enough, and I am not going to wait as a spectator witnessing sensex to lay its hand on 20000. I wanted to be a part of this experience. And when the market was at its peak, within 2 days I procured shares worth Rs. 40000. Really in quest for finding one solution, I inadvertently indulged myself in interminable activity.
Within few days of my purchase, the market collapsed to a great depth as if it wanted to teach me an old lesson that everything in life has two facets. I truly wondered how to react to this unpredictable behavior of the sensex. But one thing, which I wanted to find out, what was distinctive in moneycontrol.com vanished from my thoughts, since I myself started to use this site frequently without knowing the drive behind it.
Earlier, the day went without any excitement, adventure, and ideas, but this new experience gave me new dimensions to enjoy life, along with its multifaceted distinctiveness. Although, I have lost around Rs. 2700 (momentarily), but this is a very small price to pay for the experience which I have witnessed and hopefully it will continue to bring the same enthusiasm in me in future.

No comments: